Last year Governor Jerry Brown signed AB 1358 into law which authorizes the one-time Amnesty Program allowing for people who owe traffic tickets prior to January 2009 to pay the traffic tickets for 50% off the amount they owe starting in January 2012 ending June 30, 2012. The amnesty program does NOT eliminate points. You can pay in whatever form is customary in your county, which may include credit card, cash, cashier’s checks, money orders, and personal checks. You must pay the full 50% of amounts due in one lump payment. To see if you are eligible contact the Superior Court in the county where the violation occurred
Only traffic tickets that were due to be paid prior to January 1, 2009 are eligible. Parking tickets, driving under the influence (DUI), and reckless driving cases are NOT eligible.
To qualify for the 50% discount, all of the following conditions must be met:
- You have an outstanding traffic case that was due to be paid in full prior to January 1, 2009;
- You either failed to appear in court, or failed to pay in full;
- The last date you made a payment was on or before January 1, 2009;
- You don’t owe restitution to a victim on any case within the county were the traffic case was filed;
- You have no outstanding misdemeanour or felony warrants within the county were the traffic case was filed.
For more information on this program, visit the Superior Court website, or call 877.541.8420.