Construct three-level interchange, as follows:
- Phase 1 – NB I-680 to WB SR 4 connector.
- Phase 2 – EB SR 4 to SB I-680 connector.
- Phase 3 – SR 4 widening: Morello Avenue to SR 242 and replacement of Grayson Bridge.
- Phase 4 – SB I-680 to EB SR 4 connector.
- Phase 5 – WB SR 4 to NB I-680 connector. Due to funding shortfall, Phase 3 will be constructed first. The remaining phases will be constructed as funding becomes available.
- Phase 3 is currently in the design phase. 95% design is underway with submittal expected in June 2016.
- All phases were environmentally cleared in November 2008. Environmental revalidation completed for Phase 3 in December 2016.
- Coordination continues with Caltrans, which acts as the Right of Way (ROW) agent for the Authority.
- Caltrans is leading the utility coordination efforts with Kinder Morgan, Phillips 66, and Contra Costa Water District (CCWD).
Issues/Areas of Concern
- Permitting for entire project and advanced utility relocations will delay the start of construction and increase the project cost.
- The addition of Grayson Bridge increases the project cost and results in a funding shortfall.
- Project cost is being updated. The project has a significant funding shortfall, however, it is included in the proposed 2016 Transportation Expenditure Plan for $60 million.
- Final design, ROW, and permitting activities cannot be completed for phase 3 until full funding strategy is in place.
Update from Previous Quarterly Report
- Draft environmental permits have been submitted to Caltrans for review and submittal to the regulatory agencies.
- CTC approved the 2016 STIP in May 2016 which included $5.1 million programmed in FY2017-2018 for the Right-of-Way activities.
- Project cost estimate for Phase 3 has increased.