Contra Costa County health officials have pinpointed the source of an illness that killed three people and sickened 22 others at a free Thanksgiving dinner in Antioch.
Dr. Louise McNitt, of the Contra Costa County Health Department, said Tuesday the deaths and illnesses were caused by bacteria named Clostridium perfringens.
She says it is a common foodborne illness that in small amounts is generally not harmful to humans.
It is unclear which dish contained the bacteria. The three people who lost their lives were all residents of assisted living facilities and were given the meal free of charge by a nonprofit organization.