This email will give you step by step instructions for Early Bird Express parking at select BART stations between 4 am-5 am.
Beginning February 11, BART’s start of service will shift from 4 am to 5 am systemwide for a massive project that will seismically retrofit the Transbay Tube.
Early Bird Express bus service will replace train service between 4 am and 5 am. A complete guide to the service, which includes station-specific details to help plan your trip, bus route timetables, and payment and parking information can be found at www.bart.gov/earlybirdexpress.
How to Pay for Parking
Since BART stations won’t be open until 5 am, current parking payment methods will not be available for Early Bird Express riders. Instead we are offering 3 easy options to pay for parking between 3:30 am and 5:30 am. One requires a smart phone and downloading an app, another requires a computer, internet and printer, and another gives the option to purchase parking passes in advance and in person from a customer service window.
Where to Park
All three of these options allow you to park in the FEE area of BART stations served by Early Bird Express bus service. Do not park in the PERMIT area. None of these options are considered a permit. There is ample parking in the fee area during the 4 am hour.
3 Parking Payment Options
Official BART app: The official BART app will offer a parking payment feature exclusively to Early Bird Express riders allowing riders to pay for parking with a credit card, PayPal or Venmo.
What you can do to prepare for using the app to pay for parking:
The parking payment feature will be available on the app starting Feb. 5th and only works between 3:30 am and 5:30 am. You will need to update the app to its latest version when the feature becomes available (app users will receive a notice that an update is needed). You will not see the parking payment feature until Feb 5th and you are using the latest version of the app.
Once the parking payment feature is available, click on the Parking icon at the bottom and follow prompts to create a profile (if you haven’t already) and add your payment preferences. We recommend creating your profile and payment options in advance, so you don’t need to when you arrive at the station.
How it works:
- Once you have parked in the fee area (not the permit area) at the BART station and before leaving your car, open the BART app, select the parking icon.
- If you haven’t yet set up a profile and payment options, you will need to follow the prompts to do so.
- On the next screen, select the “Pay for Early Bird Express Parking” option.
- This will open the “Pay for Parking” page (pictured below).
- Select the station you are parking at- only BART stations with Early Bird Express service are available.
- Enter your parking stall number. Be sure to do this before you board the bus. You need a valid stall number to pay. If it isn’t valid, you will be given a prompt to re-enter a valid number.
- Select your payment method, then press submit.
- You will be taken to a “Payment Summary” page (pictured below)
- Once payment is authorized and “Pay Now” option selected, you will see a “Payment Successful” page with options to select “email your receipt”, “view transaction history” or “ok.”
- Your parking payment is now registered for the day.
Select-a-Spot Single-Day Pass: A single-day pass can be purchased online through www.select-a-spot.com/bart. This option will be available by February 4th and requires you to purchase the single-day pass online and print out and display the pass on the front dashboard of your car, clearly displaying the pass number. You can purchase up to two weeks of passes in advance in one log in session. Park in the fee area not the permit area.
Hang Tag Single-Day Pass: Purchase one or more pre-printed, single-day, hang tag parking passes in person at the Lake Merritt and Embarcadero Clipper Card Office customer service centers (hours below). This option will be available by February 4, 2019. Each hang tag is good for one day. You must scratch off the month, date, and year of the date you are parking. Scratching off more than one date will invalidate the pass. The hang tag must be displayed visibly on your rearview mirror or dashboard with the date facing outward. Park in the fee area not the permit area.
- BART Customer Service Center at Lake Merritt Station in Oakland (sales windows are located on the concourse level in both the free and paid areas): Monday-Friday, 7:30 am-5 pm.
- Clipper Customer Service Center at Embarcadero Station in San Francisco (located on the concourse level): Monday-Friday, 7 am-7 pm; Saturday, 9 am-2 pm.
Cost to Park
The cost to park will remain the same as before. Clipper cannot be used to pay for parking in the 4 am hour, which means the EZ Rider payment system cannot be used. Information on getting a refund from your EZ rider account can be found here (second to last question in the FAQ).
All parking rules apply. Please check www.bart.gov/parking for details.
A new round of in-station outreach is scheduled now through February 7, 2019 to provide riders with one-on-one help in planning for the service change, including providing specific details about the Early Bird Express. You can find the outreach schedule here.
Trip Planning Help by Phone
BART’s Transit Information Center is available by phone to help you plan your trip. They can walk you through your options. Operators are available Monday-Friday, 8 am-6 pm at 510-465-2278. Starting Feb 4th operators will be available by phone beginning at 3:45am.
Stations with Early Bird Express Parking between 3:30 am- 5:30 am
- Bay Fair
- Daly City
- El Cerrito del Norte
- North Concord
- Pittsburg/Bay Point
- Pleasant Hill
- Walnut Creek
- Fruitvale (coming in March)