The Oakley Police Department recently received a $20,000 grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) that focuses on the safety of bicyclists and pedestrians.
Grant funds will be used for a variety of activities promoting bicyclist and pedestrian safety, including:
- Education workshops geared toward youth and older adults.
- Education on the importance of safety equipment that improves visibility such as reflective armbands, bicycle headlights and taillights.
- Community walks and bicycle safety courses.
- Bicycle helmet inspections.
- Distribution of bicycle helmets to those in need following education presentations.
Funding for this program was provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The grant program runs through September 30, 2021.