Every year, REI closes its doors on Black Friday and encourages would-be shoppers to #OptOutside instead. This year, more than ever, it seems especially prudent to skip the crowds. November is also “Ridge Trail Month”. Now, it’s your turn to get outside and show your favorite trail some love! Post photos of your DIY Ridge Trail clean-up on social media, include #RidgeTrailMonth and receive a $100 Whole Foods gift card or AllTrails pro membership (while supplies last) as a thank you from us.
DIY TRAIL CARE PROJECT
If you want to celebrate Ridge Trail Month solo or within your social bubble, you can do a DIY Ridge Trail project. There are many fun, safe, and easy ways to care for your favorite Ridge Trail – find tips and a supply checklist below.
How To Host Your Own Ridge Trail Cleanup:
- Pick a Trail: First decide which Ridge Trail section to clean up – maybe a trail near your home or a part of the Ridge Trail you’ve been planning to visit!
- Leave No Trace: Make a plan to properly dispose of trash and recycling you pick up. Park and land managers may not be regularly collecting trash and recycling, so you may need to dispose of it elsewhere.
- Gather your supplies: See the checklist below for a list of supplies to make your trail clean-up safe and easy. Comfortable shoes and healthy snacks go a long way in keeping energized and happy while you’re out on the trail!
- Call your crew: If you have friends or family within your COVID social bubble, get them involved! Otherwise, a solo trail clean-up can be a safe and enjoyable way to care for your favorite trail.
- Keep It Safe: During your clean-up, be safe and follow all trail rules and etiquette. Wear gloves, a mask, and stay at least 6 feet away from other trail users.
- Take a Pic: Show us your before and after! Record your trail cleanup project to share on social media.
- Tag to Win: Tag @bayarearidgetrail, @REI and @WholeFoods in your photos on social media. Include #RidgeTrailMonth to win a $100 Whole Foods gift card or AllTrails pro membership! (while supplies last)
- Face mask
- Nitrile or work gloves
- Trash bags
- Trash grabber (claw)
- Long sleeved shirt and pants
- Comfortable/sturdy shoes
- Sunscreen and hat
- Plenty of water and snacks
- Hand sanitizer
- First Aid Kit
- Container for sharp objects (glass jar or similar)